Placing the Mailbox
Here are some helpful guidelines to follow when installing your mailbox:
Installing the Post
- If you are attaching the box to your house, make sure the postal carrier can reach it easily from your sidewalk, steps, or porch.
- If your mailbox is on a different street from your house or apartment, put your full street address on the box.
- Place your mailbox 6" to 8" back from the curb. If you do not have a raised curb, contact your local postmaster for guidance.
- Position your mailbox 41" to 45" above ground level.
- Put your house or apartment number on the mailbox.
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:
- A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
- Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
- Bury your post no more than 24" deep.